Sheep Ireland launched brand new technology in 2018 for performance recording for LambPlus breeders – The LambPlus App. The aim of the App is that it will act as an electronic version of your lambing notebook. The LambPlus App is used on CPT farms and is available to all LambPlus breeders.
The LambPlus App is designed to work on Android and iOS devices and works well on tablets and phones equally. It is not essential to be overly familiar with the website to use this, Sheep Ireland would like this to be used by as many breeders as possible regardless of their IT skills.
***Important points to note
- Breeders should record information with caution and check the website regularly to ensure that their information is being uploaded correctly.
- We would encourage breeders to record their information as normal in their Flock notebook.
- Sheep Ireland will not be held responsible if data uploaded through the App is lost.
Lambing Information can be Recorded Offline (no internet connection needed)
Sheep Ireland designed the App in such a way that once the breeder logs in and downloads their flock that they can then go offline and record their lambing information. Meaning they do not need an internet connection to record their lambs or weights on the App. Once they get an internet connection again and log into their account this information will get loaded to the database automatically.
What You Need to Know
- Mating, pregnancy, lambing information, weights and health records (under Inspections) can be added via the App.
- The recording fields will be very like that of the website.
- The ewe must be present in the flock inventory to record a lambing event to her. Movement of ewes and rams must be done on the website.
- For a ram to appear as the sire on the lambing page, it is necessary to record your mating’s online on the website or by selecting your ram team. The ram team can be selected by entering the ram’s that were used that season on the mating page.
- Due to the complexity around ET’s, it is not possible to add an ET lamb through the App, this can only be done on the website.
- Your username and password will be the same as to that of the website and passwords can only be reset through the website.
- Bluetooth readers can only be used on android devices as of now, this function is not yet available on iOS devices.
- Only a certain amount of Bluetooth readers have been tested so far, not all readers will be compatible, as a result it will be necessary to get in touch with Sheep Ireland when trying to connect a Bluetooth reader so it can be identified if it will work or not.
Flocks will need to meet certain criteria to be eligible to use this App:
- Flocks will need to be current members of LambPlus.
- It is essential that flocks that are willing to partake in this test phase record their information as normal in their lambing notebook as well as on the App to ensure we do not miss any vital information.
- Flocks must have a tablet or a smartphone.
- Flocks must be willing to engage with Sheep Ireland and give feedback on their experiences with the App. We would encourage breeders to let us know if there is anything that needs to be addressed so that it’s fit for purpose.
Where can I find the LambPlus App?
The App is available on the PlayStore for android devices or on the App Store for iOS devices and search for ‘LambPlus’. Once downloaded login as normal as you would on the website.
Trial our LambPlus App for Free!
Available for FREE DOWNLOAD on the App store. This demo will allow non-LambPlus members to trial the app before joining LambPlus. Once the App is downloaded, it will ask for your username and password. Use the username ‘demo’ and the password ‘demo’ to get logged in. Once you are logged in, you can now begin trialing the App on a flock! This demo flock gives breeders a chance to get a taste of how easy recording essential information on their animals is. It also serves as a guide in the structure of the breeding strategy that farmers implement on their farm.
Frequently Asked Questions:
I have forgotten my password how do I reset it?
There is no facility to reset your password via the App at the moment, please click the forgotten password link on the website homepage for more information on resetting your App.
Do I need an internet connection when recording information?
Yes, breeders will need an internet connection to log into their Flock, once this is done you can then work offline and record your information. Once you have an internet connection and launch the App again the data will be loaded to the Sheep Ireland system. Please note this may take a few minutes to upload. Breeders are advised not to log out of the App prior to uploading their information as it will be lost. A warning message will appear to remind you to upload the information before logging out.
Why are my rams not appearing as the sire of lambs?
In order for a sire to appear on the App it is necessary to have your mating’s recorded on the website. It is enough to record the ram as being used this season as seen below. Breeders are advised to do this on the website prior to logging in. If this is done at the same time as being logged it is necessary to reset the App so that this information can be updated, this can be done by signing out and signing back in.
What do the coloured symbols mean?
These colours are designed to show breeders where there may be potential recording issues.
- The green tick means the information has successfully been loaded to the Sheep Ireland database no further information is required on these events.
- The yellow symbol means some compulsory information has yet to be recorded. Until such a time when this information is added the lamb(s) will not get added to the database. Compulsory recording fields are marked with a red astrix.
- The red symbol means there is something wrong with the information you entered and we cannot upload it to the database. Frequent errors may be incorrect weights added example 40 kg instead of 4.0 kg. Or an NSIS number/Ped ID that is already in use with an existing animal etc. Once these errors are fixed this information will be loaded as normal.
- The grey symbol means the information is ‘queued to be sent’ this may occur for a few second until the information hits the database or when you are working offline. Once you go online again the symbols will be updated.
I don’t have an ID assigned to my dead lambs can I still record them on the App?
Yes once you mark the lamb as dead and select it’s sex, this lamb information is then loaded to the database and it will be assigned a dead tag number.
What do the ewe traits mean?
What do the lamb traits mean?
How do I add a lamb? Follow these simple steps..
Once logged in go to the menu bar and select ‘lambing’
Select the ewe you wish to record a lamb against
Once you select the number of lambs please enter their details at the top of the screen labelled ‘lamb 1’ etc.
Again fill out the required fields. Please note lambs must have at least one form of identification entered example an NSIS/Ped ID or management number.
Once all the information is added the lamb will be ‘queued to be sent’. If you have an internet connection and you see the green symbol present, all of the info you added for this event has been successfully uploaded. Ensure to click back onto the lambing event information to ensure that the lamb details are uploaded to the database.