This year in conjunction with Teagasc, Sheep Ireland held a number of breeding workshops throughout Ireland. These events catered for commercial farmers and pedigree breeders. Topics covered included:
- The host farmer along with his local advisor introduced the farm giving detail of farm and flock size etc.
- Sheep Ireland discussed the difference in 1 v 5-Star performance, explained why €urostars go up and down, and the importance of using a ram team
- Sheep Ireland also discussed understanding the sales card, the difference in within breed vs across breed – €urostars vs € Value
- Teagasc discussed the importance of checking a rams health and what to look out for, the ram NCT was detailed and a discussion around ram to ewe ratios
- Teagasc also discussed the importance of the ewe NCT and health check and a discussion around management of ewes with different body condition scores
This event required pre-registration which was organised by Teagasc with the health and safety around Covid-19 at the forefront of minds.
This was a great opportunity for commercial farmers and breeders to gain some valuable breeding practice information to increase genetic gain on Irish sheep farms.