Sheep Ireland Graduate Programme (Full Time)
Would you like to make a difference to the Irish Sheep Sector? Are you an innovative team player with the drive and dedication to help shape the future of the Irish sheep industry? Then you should be a part of the Sheep Ireland team who are world leaders in sheep genomic evaluations, working closely with experts in research. We are making a significant impact on the genetic progress of the national flock. Here at Sheep Ireland, we are all about helping sheep farmers to increase their profits by using sustainable genetics by harnessing data-driven insights to power sheep farms’ success. Farmers are making better, smarter decisions and bringing growth and efficiency to a whole new level.
Applications are now open for the Sheep Ireland Graduate Programme 2023. Successful candidates will be offered an exciting opportunity to join our world leading organisation for a twelve-month period, commencing in Summer 2023. There will be some elements of travel around Ireland and in the future, hybrid working. Further training and support opportunities exist for those who wish to continue their education. Salary is competitive.
Sheep Ireland is the leading provider of information-based genetic and genomic services. Our core strength at Sheep Ireland is our welcoming and collaborative culture and the Sheep Ireland Graduate Programme is a key element in expanding our high calibre talent base.
What’s on offer?
We are looking for one graduate to join our hard working and innovative team in our state of the art offices in Ballincollig, Co. Cork. Throughout the programme, you will learn and develop a broad skillset in an open, supportive and collaborative environment. You will be working directly with farmers and industry experts to deliver results that will make a financial impact for our farmers and the wider agricultural sector. You will get the opportunity to work alongside a top-class team on a variety of projects across the sheep sector. You will also get to spend some time collaborating with the array of experts in our Genetics and IT teams within the Sheep Ireland and ICBF company.
Our aim is that you will gain invaluable experience over the twelve months, which will enable you to excel in your career, along with the possibility of a long-term position within the organisation based on your performance during the programme.
Our ideal candidate should:
- Hold a 3rd level degree in Agriculture, Ag. Science or equivalent
- Have excellent computer skills, particularly in Excel
- Have excellent communication skills and a good telephone manner
- Have a keen interest in sheep breeding
- Be self-motivated with good initiative and attention to detail
- Be a team player
If you are interested in making a difference in the Irish Agricultural Industry, please submit your CV and cover letter via our online application process by clicking Green ‘Submit’ button above.
Closing date is Friday 7th April 2023
Sheep Ireland is an equal opportunities employer.
Agri Business Analyst,
Sheep Ireland’s objective is to help shape the future of the Irish Sheep industry by improving the profitability and sustainability of all Irish sheep farmers through identifying and promoting the best performing sheep genetics. We are continually working to educate the sheep industry about the benefits and potential gains to be made by using genetic indices. Sheep Ireland are world leaders in sheep genomic evaluations by working closely with experts in research and development. We are now at our highest ever level of industry participation and in a new and exciting era of cutting-edge genomic analysis, mobile app recording, and international collaboration. To further develop our impact on the Sheep Industry, we are looking for a person to join our team. This position is based in our office in Ballincollig, Co. Cork with the possibility of some travel around Ireland and hybrid working.
Further training and support opportunities exist for those who wish to continue their education. In addition, employees receive a competitive benefits package.
The primary duties will be;
- Technical Support – providing technical support to sheep farmers in the LambPlus programme and pedigree breed society members across the country via telephone, email and Whatsapp. Providing technical support to pedigree breed society administrators and other industry partners. Consulting with experts in research to advise and support farmers, industry partners and stakeholders.
- Systems Support & Development – working closely with stakeholders to promote Sheep Ireland’s strategic goals by enhancing best practices and processes on existing systems & develop new innovative sheep breeding technologies to best suit the industry’s needs. Studying current practices to improve or design modifications that will enhance the uptake of genetic indices among sheep farmers.
- Data generation & analysis – Helping drive an increase in the level of sheep performance recording in Ireland among ram breeders and commercial sheep farmers. Using research and analysis to develop farm management reports and assisting farmers with data collection for such reports including Eurostars, Ram reports, Weights & Health reports and much more.
- Industry Communication – Helping to educate and disseminate knowledge on the benefits of the genetic indices and genomic technologies to the wider Irish sheep industry. Facilitating discussion groups and workshops with farmers, stakeholders and industry partners to communicate the knowledge.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Hold a 3rd level degree in an Agriculture related discipline (or equivalent experience)
- Excellent computer skills, particularly excel
- Be a self-starter and motivated with good initiative and attention to detail
- Strong customer service ethos
- Previous experience working in a sheep-related industry will be a distinct advantage
About Sheep Ireland: Sheep Ireland is the leading provider of information-based genetic services. We are based in Ballincollig, Co. Cork and have more than ten years of history in the Industry. Sheep Ireland is an equal opportunities employer.
Please submit a cover letter and CV. Closing date April 7th 2023.